D2L Student Guide
Respondus LockDown Browser® & Monitor® for GHC Student
What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser (RLDB)is a locked browser for taking quizzes, tests, and exams in D2L. On quizzes or tests using RLBD, you will not be able to print, copy, go to another URL, or accessing other applications during the quiz or test. If a D2L quiz or test requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser can only be used for taking D2L quizzes, tests, or exams from the Quizzes Tool. It cannot be used in other areas of D2L.
Installing LockDown Browser
LockDown Browser can only be used on your personal computer. It should not be installed on computers in any school lab, library, or Hub. In addition, you should not install it on computers at your place of employment.
If you installed LockDown Browser last semester, you should reinstall it so that you have the lastest updated version. LockDown Browser must be installed to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a quiz or test.
- Check that you computers meets the LockDown Browser System Requirements.
- Log in to D2L, go to your course, and on the Assessment tab menu, click Quizzes.
- On the Quiz List page, click on the Practice Quiz that your instructor has provided.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the instructions page (see Figure 1) where you will find two buttons.
Figure 1: Sample Quiz Instruction Page
[Figure Copyright © 2017 Respondus]
- Select the “Download Respondus LockDown Browser” button. This is labelled by the "1" in Figure 1.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging), choose Yes..
- After the installation is complete, exit D2L and restart your computer.
- Now follow the “Taking a Quiz” section directions to complete the Practice quiz.
Taking a Quiz
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Log into D2L, select your course and navigate to the quiz.
- Click the “Launch LockDown Browser” button, labelled 2 in Figure 1, to open LockDown Browser and start the quiz.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) choose Yes.
- If you are required to use a webcam to record yourself during a test, a Startup Sequence will guide you through a webcam check and other items required by the instructor
- The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
Go through the startup process and complete the practice quiz. This will give you the feel of what taking quizzes or tests will be like during your course as the testing process will be the same.
Using RLDB with a Webcam (Respondus Monitor)
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, monitored exam. (The webcam feature is sometimes referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”) Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required.
If an exam requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow steps 1-5 in the previous “Taking A Test” section. At this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly. The first time the Webcam Check is performed on a computer, Adobe Flash Player will require you to select Allow and Remember.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
- The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete.
- You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the test is submitted for grading.
Note: The time on your quiz or test will not start until after you complete the Startup Sequence.
Having Technical Issues or Problems?
If you have problems downloading and installing LockDown Browser, review the help tips or open a ticket at Respondus Support. In addition, contact your instructor for guidance.